Antoun were contracted by the NSW Department of Education to complete ground and preparation work for the construction of a new school. Working in very dry ground conditions presented environmental challenges and required appropriate sediment and dust controls to be implemented throughout construction. The most notable challenge for this project was the design and construction of the shotcrete retaining wall: Private properties were situated mere metres from the live worksite, and many aspects of construction activities could have had a detrimental impact to properties.
Bella Vista, NSW
$2m – $5m
The scope of works included
- Demolition of existing residential properties on site including asbestos removal and disposal
- Site remediation prior to cut-and-fill earthworks, including 20,000m3 of general solid waste, tree removal and virgin excavated natural materials (VENM) which were cleared and disposed off-site
- Bulk earthworks for future buildings and sports fields
- Structural and civil works such as piling, retaining walls and drainage
- Installing more than 1km of new stormwater drainage, included the installation of two gross pollutant traps working from the lowest outfall point and connecting to the existing mains
The scope of works were completed on time and on budget. Careful planning and project management ensured the retaining wall was erected safely with no impact to any surrounding residential land.