Antoun was engaged by SYD (Sydney Airport) to remediate failed slabs on the 16R Threshold and A1. Constructed in 1960, the existing slabs had exceeded their design life and required replacement. The SYD team regularly inspected the pavement and identified 12 slabs that required immediate attention.
The scope of works included
- Initial works involved disconnecting existing services including airfield lighting before project commencement followed by saw cutting of pre-existing slabs
- Antoun worked to demolition, remove and dispose of existing concrete pavement
- Prior to placement of Rapid Set (High Early Structural Strength Cement) to construct the new slabs, Antoun excavated the subgrade to ensure a replacement total slab thickness of 450mm.
- Subgrade was then prepped and compacted followed by the installation of dowels
- Final stages included joint sealing and grooving works to new slabs
Antoun worked collaboratively with SYD to remediate the Taxiway and 16R Threshold. The concrete replacement saw the demolition and disposal of existing defective concrete slabs and the installation of new ones. The project was completed with minimal delays to operations at the airport for a pleasant result for all stakeholders.