We were contracted by NSW National Parks and Wildlife Services to replace the Yeramba Lagoon Weir at Picnic Point. Over a six week period, we will install a new adjustable weir and repair the surrounding rock wall to ensure the water flow is controlled between the fresh water lagoon and the Georges River.
Picnic Point, NSW
The scope of works included
- Initial works included mobilisation of the site and the construction of a temporary dam for environmental control with silt booms and curtains
- We will excavate and stockpile PASS (Potential Acid Sulfate Soils) for testing and treatment for removal off-site
- Construction involves installing the blinding layer to the underside of the new culverts before their installation with inclusive knife gates
- The surrounding sandstone rockwork will then be restacked before the installation of rock gabions
- Final works will see the demolition of the existing weir and pump house with intermittent draining of the lagoon
Water flow between the fresh water lagoon and Georges River will be controlled with the installation of culverts and knife gates. Construction is to be completed in an environmentally sensitive location within an existing waterway and the marine life will benefit from the improved water levels.